2022 Spring Trends to Embrace
I have had a life-long love affair with fashion. Trends and classic styles alike. I’ve just always been so intrigued watching styles come and go, and have wished I was smart enough to have kept some of my more trendy pieces around for their second coming. Ahem … my high waisted, wide leg jeans from the GAP circa 1994. Not that they’d fit now, but, I digress.
Over the years I have found so much inspiration in fashion trends for my own personal style but also for buying for my boutique. There is also some great entertainment value to be found in trend watching. Let’s be honest, some are just too, shall we say … extra?!
As a bit of a side note, this little pandemic we have been through has significantly changed the scope of buying for most retailers. You’ve all seen the images of shipping containers stuck in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. And, the state of current affairs isn’t helping. So, as much as a small business wants to stay relevant style-wise, sometimes it’s just not up to us.
But, now that I’ve done some not-so-extensive research on the fashion styles and trends of spring 2022, humor me while I attempt to translate them into some more reasonable standards.
- White sneaker outfits: I will stan this “trend” as long as it exists! White sneakers are to be worn with everything. Literally EVERYTHING! But some of my fave looks include wearing them with dresses – short, midi or maxi. So if you’re ever questioning what shoes to wear with any spring outfit, there’s one answer that works each and every time: white sneakers!
- “Prairiecore”: It’s a word. I promise. But if you recall, last year at this time folks were going ham on these styles. And now they’re back and selling like crazy. Fashion just takes time to sink in sometimes, people. Think pioneer vibes translated into today’s flowy layers, high necks, and ruffles on dresses, skirts and blouses. Prints are usually floral and subtle.
- Tennis-wear: aka: Preppy. But in this sense, it’s legit tennis inspired clothing. V-neck sweater vests – only you wear them alone or possibly with a cami. Athletic skorts are now an everyday item (and let’s agree, so comfy). Court inspired sneakers pair perfectly with this look, duh.
- Vacation Mindset: Even if you can’t get away at a moment’s notice, at least you can feel like you will. Think airy dresses in subtle floral prints, printed separates in crisp cotton poplin, and even a fresh kimono worn over basics.
- Bold Colors: Make a statement in this season’s freshest color trends of bright yellow, magenta, mango orange and cerulean blue. These are showing up mostly in solids in wide leg trousers, oversized blazers, tailored shorts and pencil skirts. Ultra big bags are coming in bold also.
- Accessories: Let’s talk about my favorite topic. The great thing about current accessory trends is that you can double up on styles. For instance, wear your white sneakers with a bold trouser and simple tank then add a pair of large statement gold hoop earrings. Pearl jewelry is at once a fashion classic and an of-the-moment look. And the good news is that they don’t have to match. Wear your heirloom pearl strand necklace with a fun pearl cocktail ring from Target. Layered chain necklaces are still trending.
- And, last but not least…shoes!! Platforms are back but a bit more tailored than previous go rounds. Athletic sandals with a stylish twist can be worn with so many outfits. And “puffy” sandals are just the cutest look!
So, now that I’ve gone on way too long, I hope this at least steers you in the right direction for spring! And, we will have as many and as much of these trends at the shop as we can!